We get asked all the time how we get our cupcakes flat, without big domes or those exploding volcanoes that sometimes happen so we thought we’d share our top tips. There’s no magic formula but hopefully if you follow these pointers you’ll get flat cupcakes too:
- Don’t over mix your mixture. We use an all in one method (pop all the ingredients in a bowl and mix) for our cupcakes and ensure that as soon as the ingredients have come together in to a batter we stop mixing. If in doubt, finish off the mixing with a spatula to get all the bits from the bottom of the bowl mixed in
- Don’t overfill your cases, your cupcakes will rise so if you want your cupcakes to come to just under the top of the cases fill 2/3 of the way up
- Turn your oven down, we bake at 170C (non-fan) or 150C (fan). An oven thermometer is perfect for checking the correct temperature in your oven
- Don’t leave your cupcake mixture out for too long before baking as this can give you an uneven bake
- We put a plain baking tray on the top shelf of the oven and bake our cupcakes on the shelf underneath. This helps reduce the heat from the top of the oven and helps keep the tops from doming
Hope those tips helps and happy baking!